Wednesday

The Build Up That Is: The Princess and The Frog

So I'll probably upset people with this blog entry...and I don't particularly care. As a disclaimer, however, I will say that these are solely my opinions...its up to you to determine what you feel...


(click on the image or here to visit the official site)

For those of us who have not been under a rock for the past 2 years, we're all well aware of the new Disney Film "The Princess and The Frog." Its to be the first official film to star Black/African-American/Characters of African Descent - which I feel is silly, all things considered Lion King was the first. Once again, this is just my opinion.

With the buzz of the film came many mixed perceptions and opinions on the characters as well as the story. Many of which were followed with America's favorite word...racism.

Now, before I go any further I just want to explicitly say that there is a difference between the -isms and being naive to situations due to one's ignorance. An example of such: People always argue that Spike Lee's films and possibly that he is Sexist. When in fact, that's not the case. Spike tries to write for women, but because he is not one...falls flat at points. Its not because he's a sexist, its because he's ignorant of what constitutes realism for Woman Characters.

Continuing on.

There's been a concern that Disney, a company that hasn't had the most positive PR when it comes to Race/Religious Relations, has been using this film to as a means to voice its opinion on those of us with a...ahem...Darker hue. Which, in fact, isn't the case...at least, not in my eyes.

Let the question sequence begin:

1. Why New Orleans, why not Africa?

Answer: You don't run the same show twice.

Well, that's too easy. Too cliche. And for what its worth, there was already an Animated Film set in Africa WITH songs in Swahili. More so, Disney runs an essentially ALL BLACK stage production of the film...There's no fun in rehashing a story.

I hear the rants from the peanut gallery that argue the fact that since that film had animals it doesn't count. Explain Bambi then...

More so, these are animals that speak, dance, and break out into song...let's be serious with ourselves here....

Furthermore, the setting of New Orleans was choose not only because it was Walt Disney's favorite place but it CLEARLY makes sense for the story. A story, set in the 20s...about Blacks...honestly, what's the first place that you think of?

Also, I feel its a good thing that the people of New Orleans get to see their city in all of its glory after all the hardship that they've been through. No one had a problem with Benjamin Button being in Naw'lins...and to be honest, Taraji walked the line between Loving Maternal character and Magical Negro in that film...She was one "OOO Chille" away from Mississippi Burning.

Moving on.

2. Why is Prince Naveen not Black?

Answer: Does it matter?


For those that don't know, Naveen is the Prince Charming of the film. The love interest of the story's protagonist, Tiana (I can hear the rants, I'll come back to the name.)

Since the initial image releases of the film, Naveen has made a significant change in...ahem...hue. There were significant complaints about the character falling for a "Beige" person...thus pissing off the Sister Africas...

Old Naveen:




New Naveen:




To accomodate the Sister Africa's request, they made him a more tan and gave him a Luther Vandross Curl.

Something I found preposterous about the complaints was the myopic thought process of those ranting. Not only is Disney making a movie about a BLACK Princess, but decided to incorporate Interracial Love as well...in the 1920s! I'm sorry, but if that's not ballsy what is? More so, isn't that the image we want to teach our children in the new millennium we live in? That its OK to choose what make you comfortable? To fall in love with a person because of who they are, not because of what they look like? I commend Disney for their fearlessness when making such a decision, but I guess it went over people's heads...

And for the Record, Naveen was Indian...not White.


(I personally find this image preposterous...Naveen wooing not one, BUT TWO White Women whilst resting his shoulder on the Back of a White Man....in the 1920s...He would've been fucking lynched in those days...but hey, I guess it doesn't matter as long as you please the Sister Africas...)

3. Why is she named Tiana?

Answer: C'mon Son.


Look, I really don't care about the name...I'd be upset if she was named Lotaviquous. Let's be honest, Tiana is basically a normal name in today's society...if we're gonna be culturally inaccurate about everything else, let's not try to fix shit now. More so, I thought the name of the game was writing Characters that people can identify with...and I thought this film was about showing Little Black Girls that they too can be Princesses...I'm pretty sure they have a friend or cousin named Tiana (maybe not that spelling), I'm fine with it. They could've named her Zimbuki...all I'm saying...



To add to this, everyone was concerned that she was a servant...which isn't the case. She works a restaurant and one day wants to own her own, essentially becoming a Madame CJ Walker. She learned to cook from her Father, I'm a bit foggy as to if the restaurant is owned by him or if its a pauper to prince(ss) story. In addition to this, Tiana wants to own the restaurant because she feels it brings people together...which is why the dynamic of working with her Father was expound upon. Thus, continuing the subtext of all Disney Movies, that family is important to our lives.

While I'm on this subject, I'm amazed at the amount of people who haven't commented on the fact that a BLACK FATHER is close to his BLACK DAUGHTER. We have plenty of films that profit off of the broken Black Family (ahem...Precious) and for once we have one that praises the Black Family Structure and it's importance...Sister Africas...distracting again.

4. What's up with the Gospel and Jazz Tracks?

Answer: You can't be serious right now...

You're really going to look me in my face, as another person of color, and say that you DON'T listen to Jazz or Gospel? Anyway...

My feelings on that are as such, don't be ashamed of your roots. I grew up listening to Gospel, Jazz, R&B, etc. Be proud of the musical background that our people have...more so, how Anachronistic would it have been if there was an Electronic song in the middle of 1920s New Orleans? Music and Setting are to convey mood and set tone for the film, something I feel was done effectively here.

And honestly, if you wanna be pissed off about a song and the lyrics...go and watch Jungle Book...If you don't get upset when Louie starts singing the Swing song...well, yea. He's the one of the only characters in the film that doesn't have an English accent, is a Monkey that sings Swing a la Cab Calloway, Speaks in Jive, and sings a song about wanting to be a "Man Cub" like you.

And for what its worth, Scatman Crothers was in Aristocats...not the first Disney movie with Jazz...

Kudos to Randy Newman on the arrangement of the songs by the way. What can't that man write...?

5. What's the deal with the Supplementing Characters/Ensemble?

Answer: This is gonna be a long one...(that's what she said)




Mama Odie, a 197 Year Old Blind woman who lives in the Bayou, has a seeing eye Snake that she uses as a cane, and knows how to break hexes (essentially, the Glenda The Good Witch) ...sure, this can push a few people...but this a movie about a Voodoo Spell that was placed on the two of them. Let's be honest, every other film has had a Wizard or Witch...you thought this was gonna be different? Furthermore, the concern is that she's a bit "Mammie." I'm willing to acknowledge the fact that she speaks like "Big Momma" but not willing to call her a Mammie...not without seeing the film...and not off of the images that I've seen. One needs to know what a Mammie is (as well as a Sambo, Pickaninny, etc.) before they start throwing those terms around. Its the most overused term since Uncle Tom. (For the record, Uncle Tom frees the slaves at the end of the book...he puts on the act so he can fool the "Good White Folk." Read the fucking book before you go using the term all willy nilly) Also for the record, the character is designed after Margaret Rutherford...not Aunt Jemima...Who was in fact a Mammie...just saying...



Dr. Faciler, the antagonist of the film and a Witch Doctor (essentially The Wicked Witch of The West)...I don't really have a problem with this guy...he looks like Samuel L. Jackson in Eve's Bayou to me...it makes me giggle...(YES THEY DESERVED TO DIE, AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!!!!)



Louie, the Jazz playing Alligator who wants to be human (kinda like Pinnocchio) so he can play in a Jazz Band...anything...anyone? No...ok, he's comic relief...I think we kinda all got that...



Ray the Firefly who's in love with a star he calls, "Evangeline". I'm on the fence about this guy...I can't lie. I'm not opposed to his look, because he's essentially the Pumba of this film...I am a little opposed to his voice and joke choice. HOWEVER, I can see him as an important reflectionary character who through his child-like knowledge will offer a lesson that's very mature and important to the film and the character(s) arc(s).

In closing, I'll be seeing it. I may even take my Niece if I have the time. Furthermore, I feel a lot of the negative feelings are coming from people who believe that Black History Month is in February because its the shortest month of the year (that's not the reason why it's in February...I can't hold your hand homie, go read a book)...and honestly, what we should be pissed off about is that Oprah and Terrance Howard are in this film.

That's a crime against humanity.

5 comments:

  1. So... a couple of things...
    I hate Lion King... why? How are you going to make a movie about AFRICA and not draw any Black People...
    India had Moogley [sp?], China had Mulan, France had Ariel, Arabia had Jasmine and Aladdin, and Africa gets a fucking Lion cub... UGHK as HELL

    This is Disney's first feature film that focuses on Black people with the majority of the main characters being Black. The first Black person they drew was ol dude from Atlantis, and that movie came out late 90's 2000ish right... shit is disturbing.

    and her name was changed from Maddy [short for Madaline... ppl got mad and assumed it was a slave reference undertone] to Tiana...

    I thought ol boy [Naveen] was just Creole...

    My 2 cents

    -Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually...I'm fine with the Lion Cub...

    Not only was/is The Lion King the best Disney movie to date, but I use the example of Bambi again.

    Bambi is has THEE whitest characters of any Disney Film..does that make it bad? No. However, you don't need to see the color of a character to understand the characteristics that they embody. I feel as if visual is the initial and least important characteristic of a protagonist...their morals are what's important in making them a character. More so, the character Simba, who's inherently African, is THEE roundest character in Disney history and has THEE strongest arc. I'll take that over visuals any day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but james earl jones was mufasa...?

    anywho, good read. i'll be seeing it myself as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the movie and it was cute. I liked the message of being hardworking to reach your dreams and I really think that the name the prince everything was GREAT! I plan on buying the movie when it comes out!

    I'm with you on the lighning bug though. I was on the fence. His speach was rough at best but I do realize that they made an effort to represent those who live in N.O. not sayin everyone talks like that but if they made a movie about the South and everyone crossed all of thier Ts and pronounced every vowel then someone would still be pissed.

    I think it was a good movie. I don't count Nalah (sp?) from the Lion King for two reasons other than her being an animal.

    1. She is not included on only of the "Disney Princess" material

    2. Children look at these princesses (right or wrong as it may be) as beauty figures. What sick kid wants to look like a lion....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the lion king. I think, for Disney's first original animated movie, it was really good. And animal lovers love lions. So I can see people love the idea of lions. Also, lion king was not based of a fairy tale, and most movie they have like that have animals as characters so it is not that surprising it is lions. I also loved The Princess and the frog. I love all the movies. Pocahontas and mulan being my favorite but hey.

    ReplyDelete