Tuesday

Rejected Four Times

One thing I wish everyone would've told me upon graduation is that nothing is easy. Or did they tell me that? Ok...well, something I wish that they would've told me that I KNOW they never did, is that its OK to fail.

Think about this. Our whole life we're groomed to never fail. You go to school to pass and to graduate. You learn to play sports, and though we say its about how you play the game its truly about winning [majority of the time]. You get a good job, to make good money, and raise a good family and not get fired [hence, never failing]. Wash, rinse, repeat. Etc, etc, etc. But never once are we told, its OK to fail. Just be you, sometimes we're meant to mess up. Be human. And if we are told, then it is rare. Few and far in between. Well, this is what leads me to my next post/topic...Rejected Four Times.

Now, we all know that Graduate School is uber-competitive. But I honestly don't think we really grasp how competitive it really is. I'll use my case as an example.

I'm headed to Grad School in the Fall for Film, Alhumdillah [Not a Muslim, just love that phrase. Its such a poetic way to say Thank You Lord. Don't you agree?]. This is my second year applying, and Lord knows it was an arduous two year application process. Not only have I spent Hundreds upon Hundreds of All American Dollars just to APPLY, (All of my application fees were $50+, not including cost of mailing, cost to print off various documents/photos, and time spent typing and proof reading aforementioned documents and photographs) but I've gone through rejection, depression, and every other emotion in between.

I wish someone would've told me that I would go so deep into my pockets, both fiscally and emotionally.

Next, in the two years that I spent applying little did I know that I would be faced with insurmountable odds. Like, oh, say the fact that most graduate schools get hundreds upon thousands of applicants...then only accept close to 30-50 (depending on the program, mine accepting between 12...yes, 12....and 30). More so, not all of the applicants applying are from the USA. Now I have to compete with International Applicants...and they're just as every bit talent as me...if not more.

I wish someone would've told me that I'd be one out of millions. That I am much smaller than I think I am.

Subsequently, no one told me that I would get rejected SO MANY TIMES! Not only did I apply to some programs more than once, but I've been concurrently rejected by the same programs...more than once. (NYU Tisch: New York Campus - Twice, NYU Tisch: Singapore Campus - Once, Columbia University - Once, Emerson University - Wait List) Only, to be accepted two times...

I wish someone would've told me that I was going to get rejected...everyone does at least once. It is a part of the process.

After all of this is said and done, finally I was accepted into one of my top three Graduate Programs...Only to find out that I need to find a way to pay for school. I could very much mooch off of my old man, but I'd rather not if there are other ways to pay for school. Not to mention, still balancing the other cost/expenses of life.

I wish someone would've told me that life after College would be so expensive.

I say all of this to say, DO NOT be discouraged...this specifically goes out to anyone who may read this that is still in School, applying for Graduate School, out in the Work Force, taking that infamous "year off," etc. Take it from someone who has been there and had to take, what I felt, was the longest year of my life to get prepared and accepted. Its OK, to fail.

Here are some other things that people neglect to tell us my fellow Quarter-Lifers...the average Graduate Student is 25+, the Average College Student spends 4+ years in Undergrad, the Average person doesn't start in their ideal position of employment...they have to move up the ladder dealing with what they consider "menial" work that is below them, the Average Career requires A College Degree PLUS 1-2 years of Work Experience, the People we see on TV who are doing well for themselves (whether they be businessman/businesswoman, entertainer, etc.), is in their THIRTIES. Remember, you are above average, in so many other ways that I can possibly list. Please, please, please...do not be afraid to fail.

I wish someone would've told me that it is OK to fail.

~Bouier

2 comments:

  1. I'm currently living this similar situation and, I must say, you expressed EXACTLY my sentiments on the situation. I wish I read this when I was still in undergrad. I would have been more better prepared for the chagrin and hoopla that is post-undergrad.

    Congrats on getting into film school! I've enjoyed you're short films so far so I can't wait to see what you bring forward in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMBO Nick i think we should just merge our blogs. We are blogging about the EXACT same thing! I wish you luck!!

    ReplyDelete